Employing Polish, Lithuanian, Slovakian, Latvian, Czech, Hungarian, Estonian, Bulgarian, Romanian, Slovenian and Croatian nationals

Polish and other A8/A2* nationals do not need a visa or work permit to start working in the UK. The procedure of employing A8/A2 national is almost the same as in case of British citizen. However:
  • Candidates sourced from abroad who come to work in the UK for the first time do not, usually, have a National Insurance Number (NINo) and will need confirmation of employment from their employer for their NINo interview. They may need time off for the interview and some general support. For more information about NINo application procedure visit Gov.uk website.
  • Croatian nationals who wish to work in the UK need to apply for a registration certificate. For more information visit Gov.uk website.
*A8 countries are: Poland, Lithuania, Estonia, Latvia, Slovenia, Slovakia, Hungary and Czech Republic, members of the European Union since 1st of May 2004. On the 1st of January 2007 Bulgaria and Romania (A2) acceded to the EU. Croatia acceded to the EU on the 1st of July 2013.
    If you take someone on to work in your home, you may be legally classed as their employer. If you are, you may have to deduct Income Tax and National Insurance Contributions from their wages and submit to HM Revenue & Customs. In this case, WRS and NINo requirements apply too. For more details visit Gov.uk website.